How To Make Reading Your Next Good Habit

 I pick up a book and read almost every day. Depending on the book, I can usually finish one every three weeks or so. This has been my habit for more than a decade. I have tried a digital book, but I find I actually like holding the book (no matter how big and bulky it is). It does not feel like work. I find I have more focus. I retain the information better. If a download is what it takes to dip your toes into the reading pool, have at it! It's your adventure! If you travel a lot, this may be the most convenient way for you to read. I do find that if I'm in public with a real book people are less likely to interrupt me. 

I often get asked questions about how I made reading a habit, I decided to spill all my book nerd secrets because I want you to read something other than a screen that has nothing to do with work or school every day.

Why do I need to make this a habit?

Science says so. 

I could just say that, but I will spare you from doing the Googling to prove me wrong (it's a failed endeavor so just stay with me). Here are just a few reasons:

  1. It's good for your brain. Not only can you become smarter, learning new things gives your brain a good workout!
  2. It can make Alzheimer's "talk to the hand." Look, I don't know if people still say that, but you know what I'm saying. I've written about my grandmother's struggle with this disease. I am afraid I will get it. If this prevents me from getting this awful thing until the super smart scientists find a cure, I'll read a book every day.
  3. It can help you wind down and even fall asleep. Word of caution: reading before sleep can take those words into dream ideas. If your brain doesn't do that, read all the creepy horror/true crime stories you want before you turn off the lights and call it a day. I typically don't read those types of books (or even TV shows or movies) after dark. I know some people pick up a book in bed and don't make it through a few paragraphs. That's my research. If you're having trouble sleeping, I'll also suggest starting the day with an ice bath.
  4. It can make you a good example to others. How have I gotten my friends to read? I just tell them about what I'm reading now. When they talk about something they like and I've read a book that is similar, I'll tell them about it. If you have kids who need to read for school, teach them reading can be fun by letting them see you with a book
  5. It encourages empathy. You might have experienced this from a TV show or a movie. Something bad happens to your favorite character and your gut has an immediate reaction. My example (and it is not a current event so don't accuse me of being spoilery) comes from The Walking Dead. I watched that show as my favorite characters got picked off one at a time. It was just too hard to watch it happen even though it made sense for the story. I experience the same thing in books, whether fictional or not. I can put myself in the story and have all the emotions. I find that I can also put myself in someone's situation and wonder how I would feel if that was my experience. It changes how I handle situations.
How do I find a book to read?

Ahh. This is probably the hardest part. If you have not read a book in a long time, it can be overwhelming to wander a book aisle or store. Start by thinking about what you like to watch or listen to. Your recent favorite TV show or movie was probably a book first. Read that! There are often more details in the book so you get a little more insight into it. Now, you can go back and find other books by that author. Follow that author on social media and they'll most likely tell you what they're reading. John Searles is one of my favorites who does this. FUN FACT: When I decided to return to reading years ago, I tweeted a plea for book suggestions. He came through (but he did not tell me to read his books - I did that on my own with pleasure).

If you like sitcoms, this can be trickier. Many of them have comedians in the writer's room. Some of them have written books. You'll need to do some research here. You can also start in the comedy section of a book store. Pick up the books, read inside the cover. 

I have found novels a few different ways. There are several "book club" picks by people like Oprah, Reese Witherspoon, Jenna Bush Hager and shows like Good Morning America. I also like podcasts that happen to discuss books (though that's not their primary purpose). I pick up a lot of books discussed on NPR's Fresh Air and on Sharon McMahon's podcast Here's Where It Gets Interesting.

When I'm out in the wild, just walking around books for sale, I'm usually drawn to a cover first. Then, I pick up the book and read the inside cover. If that sounds interesting, I'll go to the first chapter. If that has hooked me, that book is coming home with me. If I'm online, I read the reviews before adding to my cart.

I may also inspire you right here. If you click the three horizontal lines at the top of this page, it will show you my profile and the last five books I've read. It also includes a link to Goodreads, where I log the books I've read and want to read. You might find something interesting there!

How do I keep going?

This is something I had to learn the hard way. I bought one book at a time. When I would finish the book, I would not keep reading until I bought another book. That could take weeks or even months. I would get mad at myself, then head to the book store to see what was interesting. I learned to always have a book waiting to be read. They were books I had vetted and looked forward to reading because that's how you make this a daily habit. I went from having two or three books on my nightstand to having so many that I feared the single pile might crush me in my sleep! So here's where I am right now. 




Yes. FOUR stacks of books waiting to be read. GOOD NEWS: I will not run out of books to read! NOT-SO-GREAT NEWS: The book at the top of the stack was bought in July. I clearly have a backlog situation, but I like to think of it as a promise to keep reading. Have some perspective, people.

You may notice that I balance my book choices with fiction and non-fiction. I like to encourage my imagination with the fiction, then learn something new in the non-fiction. This is my method. You do whatever works for you to get that book in your hand.

How do I find time to read?

This may hurt some of you who like to stare at your phone or binge watch something on your TV. I have made reading in the morning part of my daily routine.

I pour a cup of coffee, put up my feet and read a chapter or two - really whatever I have time for and however long the chapters are. It's really that simple!

It's time I would have previously spent scrolling on my phone looking at social media. Sometimes, I'll read while I have lunch. 

If you have any part of your life that requires you to sit and wait, take a book! Carpool lane, doctor's office, jury duty? That's valuable reading time! I actually get mad when I have to wait somewhere and I don't have my book. 

There are many reasons your mornings may be too rushed to create this moment of self care. Take a look at your day. Lunchtime may be your moment. When you get into bed, maybe you don't watch TV and pick up the book instead. I chose the morning because I find that little break allows me to clear my head and start thinking about what I have to do that day. I feel calm. I am ready for whatever happens next.

What if I get a book I don't like?

This happens. The book people rave about is not for you. The book you thought sounded good suddenly hits a point that reading feels like a chore. At first, I had a hard time not finishing a book I started. I soon realized I should not make time for something I do not enjoy. So if you need to hear it, IT IS OKAY NOT TO FINISH A BOOK YOU DO NOT LIKE. 

What do I do when I finish reading a book?

First, celebrate because YAY, YOU! I rate it on Goodreads, then I post a photo of the book on Facebook and offer it to my friends. I tell people I am not a library. Please do not return it to me. Instead, I ask them to pass the book on to someone else. I believe books are always happy when they're being read. 

That's it. That's how I made reading part of my daily routine. Like any new habit, it takes a while to make it less work and more fun. If you commit to starting, know you'll probably slip at some point. Keep restarting the same book a few times until you figure it out. You'll be glad you did!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's my (re)birthday!

I Tried The NYT's Peanut Butter & Pickle Sandwich Recipe and I Liked It