Yay. It's Hot. Again.

It's that time of year when I take my fight against the sun to DEFCON1. I am not a meteorologist but I know what kind of forecast we get this time of year. I made my own weather alert. Experience tells me it will be valid throughout October.

 Don't mind me, I'm just out here looking for ways to not feel like I'm melting when I leave home. My first result turned up a full list from Amazon!

Cooling towels/neck wraps
At $8.95 and 4.8 stars, this seems like a hit! You wet the towel and BOOM it's cold. Most of the reviews said it works as long as the towel is wet. I did not find a review that explained if your sweat keeps it wet to keep you cool or if you cool off so much that you just don't sweat anymore. I saw one reviewer who claimed to get brain freeze after taking it out of the freezer to cool off on a 98-degree day. That's not a negative to me! 

If really can get that cool, why can't I find a full outfit made of this material in many colors so I can wear it every day? Or can I at least get a poncho? The promise of this makes me want to take up sewing and make my own clothes out of this material. There are some similar products on the shopping list but they're still not full clothing. Boo.

With less than 4 stars and a price tag of $19.68, I'm a little skeptical of this. You put it in ice for 10 minutes or it will take in cool temperatures from being in front of your air conditioner for 20 minutes. Then, it claims to stay cool for 40 minutes to 2 hours around your neck. It specifically says no condensation, frostbite or necrosis (WHEW).

The reviewers caution that while the ad shows three tubes, you only get one. I also noticed a lot of the reviewers were women of a certain age who said it helped them get through hot flashes. It seems like if it works for hot flashes it should work for everyone. This sounds promising. It's a maybe for me.

Now this is getting a little closer to an outfit! This is $29.99 and has 4.4 stars. You pop this in the freezer, then put it around your neck. You could probably just wrap it around the top of your head or wherever you're feeling like a space heater. I saw some things in the reviews that made me think it's not going to work for heat (but would be good for pain).
  1. It takes about 8 hours for it to get cold.
  2. It will only stay cold for about 20 minutes.
Since it's going to be hot for a few months, that's not ideal for my circumstances. Back to the list!
For $19.88 and with 4.5 stars this sounds, um, cool! They also make a cap if you want your ears and neck exposed to the sun's blistering rays. It claims that it can drop your temperature by 30 degrees within one minute of it getting wet.

The reviews say it's fine as long as you're willing to keep the hat wet. I saw some warnings that it is not fashionable so if that's important, proceed with caution. I like a hat and this one has many color options so maybe I could make this work while on a walk or out for some yard work. Just not to brunch.

Neck fan
There are a lot of these listed but this one is $23.99 with 4.3 stars. This needs a USB charger and claims to last between 4 and 16 hours. My instant thought is that I cannot believe it will last 4 hours and I think it will feel warm if you wear it that long.

The reviews said this fan needs a lot of charging (one person said overnight) and that it holds the charge at the lower end of the range. Do we need another device to charge - especially one that needs 8 hours rest? I don't know. This one is the least exciting to me. There are other neck fans at lower and much higher price points and the reviews say a lot of the same. 

I still think the best bet would be clothing made of this cooling material. Not the kind that looks like fishing attire. Give me a cute dress or top that I can wear almost anywhere without someone thinking I'm wearing workout clothes or pajamas. I don't even need credit for this idea. I will take a discount code for my purchase. I'll give it five stars if it ships on ice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Make Reading Your Next Good Habit

I Tried The NYT's Peanut Butter & Pickle Sandwich Recipe and I Liked It

The Human Ice Cube Experiment