Clocking History

I have never understood the people who say they don't like history. I can understand not liking certain periods of history, but not liking history? Like, at all? 😶

I spy history in some interesting places. It's pretty easy to walk around a bunch of buildings with your eyes either on your phone (dangerous) or on street signs (helpful). Have you ever walked the same route with no phone at a slower pace? YOU SHOULD!

While playing a game of "find the shade because the sun is not your friend" on a familiar route, I noticed something for the first time.
A clock that was not keeping time. I mean, it's right twice a day but it was definitely not giving me the correct time when I stared at it. So why the heck is there a clock in downtown San Antonio taunting me like this? I spun around looking for some explanation. Nothing at eye level. I looked down.
It's the Hertzberg Clock!

Here's what the marker says:
The Hertzberg Clock has been the "official" timepiece for generations of San Antonians since it was installed in front of the Hertzberg Jewelry Company on Commerce Street in 1878.
Cast in iron by E. Howard Company of Boston and operating through a system of weights, it is unique among post clocks in continuing to be hand-wound rather than electrified.
Eli and Anna Goodman Herztberg's son, Harry, became co-owner of the store with Mrs. Hertzberg's brother, Max Goodman, in 1908. Two years later, the company and clock were moved to the corner of St. Mary's and Houston Streets, which became the center of the commercial and entertainment district. Citizens and visitors used the clock as a meeting place and site of impromptu New Year's Eve celebrations.
Hertzberg's Jewelers was purchased in 1964 by Zales Corporation, which moved the store to a suburban location in 1979.
In 1982, Mrs. Thomas C. (Maxine Goodman) Bordelon and Mrs. Jesse B. (Jennita Goodman) Poston, gave the family-owned clock to the San Antonio Conservation Society in memory of their parents, Max and Nell Pereida Goodman, who worked in and loved downtown San Antonio. Mr. Goodman served as president of Hertzberg's Jewelers from 1908-31; Mrs. Goodman from 1940-64.
I wanted to know why the clock was unique. I found this article that said the clock runs on kinetic energy (like a grandfather clock). While it only needs to be wound once a week, a kind volunteer from the International Bank of Commerce apparently winds the clock twice a week. I guess I spotted it between clock windings?

That this clock has been standing for almost 150 years was amazing! I wanted to know what San Antonio was like in 1878. A streetcar ride (pictured at right) away, the Joske house was built in the King William Neighborhood. That neighborhood was named by Ernst Altgelst who built the first home there. That same year, the city got a water system which maintained the water of San Pedro Spring and part of the San Antonio River via pipes made of iron, clay, lead, gutta percha, stone, wood or any other material. 

There was a German newspaper in town. Bexar County built its first jail (which promptly filled up). I wonder if some of those inmates were among the revelers at the Hertzberg Clock? 

The next time you're walking around downtown, slow down and take a look! You never know what history you're missing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Make Reading Your Next Good Habit

I Tried The NYT's Peanut Butter & Pickle Sandwich Recipe and I Liked It

The Human Ice Cube Experiment