Love-Hate relationship with insulated bottles/cups

 

While I ❤ my many insulated bottles, cups and mugs I am annoyed that they require hand washing.  Why is it they can bounce off the ground (not recommended but it happens), yet they are too delicate to take a trip in the dishwasher?

WHY?

I have put them in before and have only noticed the outside looks a little beat up. Paint might peel off. The writing might fade or even fall off. That's cosmetic stuff. Adds character. Shows that I don't just buy them because my social media ads are influencing me. BONUS: I can cover up those battle wounds with a sticker if I want. But is there any real harm caused by a weekly run through the dishwasher?

Yes. 

My Google search turned up lots of posts about why. I found this from Southern Living magazine (which I presume consulted with more experts that the many blogs I saw). I also found this post from Whirlpool. The answers from those sites and a few others said the dishwashers can damage the seal and insulation. YETI will let you throw theirs in the dishwasher, but you pretty much have to take the whole thing apart to do it.

TRANSLATION: yes, they will get clean in the dishwasher but they might start to leak and not keep the hot stuff hot and the cold stuff cold. That defeats the purpose of the insulated drinking vessels.

As someone who grew up rinsing dishes and putting them in the dishwasher, a process that new dishwashers say is no longer necessary, I have always felt like dishes are just cleaner that way. My insulated cups aren't exactly getting super dirty because I'm just drinking from them. I'm working on appreciating the rules for hand washing and not running from them like I do when I see a clothing label that says "dry clean only." However, when I see an insulated tumbler that says it can go in the dishwasher without disassembly, just take my money!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Make Reading Your Next Good Habit

I Tried The NYT's Peanut Butter & Pickle Sandwich Recipe and I Liked It

The Human Ice Cube Experiment